Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back in the lower 48.

To answer Jen's questions:
Yes, Alaska was cold, but it was dusk at 10pm and stayed that way all night. I saw no igloos and no eskimos and no moose :( I saw glaciers, but we had no time to climb them. They look super cool though.

Our flight was great. We only had to pay about $125 in extra baggage which is really great. We could have easily spent over $500. God blessed us with the nicer airport people... Last night we stayed in a hotel and since we had no show, our director brought us to the movie theater and we saw the new Batman movie. It was a nice break. Today we had a show in Corvalis, OR. Tomorrow's show is at a boy on tour's home church. He's really excited.
The stage manager job isn't as hard and time consuming as some of the other jobs, but it definatly has its share of stressful moments. I'm in charge of counting all of the cords to make sure we have everything before we leave. Every once in a while someone will add cords without telling me and forget to count them themselves, so I am left to the decision of if they are our cords or not. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be stressful. Another thing I'm in charge of is the duct tape. Continental Singers spends thousands of dollars on duct tape during the year for all of the tours that go out. They are trying to bring the price down and therefore want the tours to be a little more strict on how much duct tape they use. Our tour has lost a lot of duct tape and I have had to give announcements a couple of times on how we have to be careful with the duct tape. We started out with 24 rolls and we are left with about 8. For a while I was scared everyone was going to think I was like the duct tape nazi...haha but they all understand and we are doing much better when it comes to duct tape control. It's really neat to have a sort of leadership position on tour. I'm glad they asked me to do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill!!
I'm so excited for you and love hearing all about what you are doing.
My love and support continue to be with you.
Justine

Anonymous said...

Jillian--
I am very sorry to hear about the duct tape situation. Its upsetting to me. BUT! on the bright side of things at least you got to see buffalo and go to Alaska and tour California and change a lot of peoples lives.
AAAAAAAAAAND i get to see you kind of soon! i miss you muchos!!
I hope the rest of your tour is great!
I LOVE YOU!!
Love love love,
Elyse
P.s. Kasey is here and she says hi!!!
eat mo' pie. Amen brotha.

Anonymous said...

sweet, sweet jull:

duct tape?! alright!
with great power comes great responcibility...

cant wait for the return of my jillian! have a safe flight/ride/rest of the tour!

j.case
(p.s. i get real excited everytime you mention me in the blog. it makes me super happy every time.)